All FamilyMart convenience stores (except self-checkouts) to support LINE Pay by December 4, beginning with selected stores from November
TOKYO – October 18, 2018 – LINE Pay Corporation, operator of the LINE Pay smartphone digital wallet service available through the LINE messaging app, announces that Family Mart Co., Ltd. ("FamilyMart") will begin a phased integration of LINE Pay at its convenience stores (excluding self-checkouts) across Japan from November 2018.
FamilyMart will begin accepting mobile-based code payments to provide greater convenience to customers and drive cashless payments in Japan. Its latest decision to introduce LINE Pay is part of its ongoing efforts to concurrently implement multiple domestic and international payment options at its stores. Starting November, LINE Pay will be supported at selected FamilyMart convenience stores and will be accepted at all stores by December 4, 2018.
Any LINE user can instantly register for LINE Pay from within the LINE app and start using the service by agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of Use. Once registered, users top up their account balance by transferring money from their bank account, going to a convenience store, or using other available options. Then, users simply need their smartphone to start purchasing from local stores, vending machines, online stores, and other places that accept LINE Pay. Furthermore, LINE Pay enables users to transfer money to each other, free of transaction fees, without having to ask for the other’s bank account details.
At FamilyMart convenience stores, users can pay with their account balance by showing their "Pay with My Code" screen at the register and letting the cashier scan the barcode. LINE Pay Corporation and FamilyMart will continue to carry out a variety of initiatives to offer easy and practical payment options at FamilyMart convenience stores.
LINE Pay will close the distance between people, money, and services by eliminating the current pain-points – time, effort, fees, and more – of circulating money. The company also aims to become a leader in the FinTech industry as the world moves increasingly towards becoming a cashless, walletless society.
Making barcode payments with LINE Pay
1) On your smartphone, access the "Wallet" tab in LINE, and tap "Pay with My Code" at the top
2) Enter your passcode* to display your code (* skipped if already entered when launching LINE Pay)
3) At the register, show your code and tell the cashier that you are paying with LINE Pay
4) Have your barcode scanned (by the cashier)
5) Take your receipt (a message will be sent to your LINE app when the payment is completed)
FamilyMart Co., Ltd. Overview
Company Name: FamilyMart Co., Ltd.
Location of Head Office: 3-1-1 Higashi Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Takashi Sawada, Representative Director and President
Capital: JPY 8.380 billion
Established: July 2, 2001
Primary Business: Convenience store franchise business
LINE Pay Corporation Overview (as of May 11, 2018)
Company Name: LINE Pay Corporation
Location of Head Office: JR Shinjuku Miraina Tower 23F, 4-1-6 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Yongsu Ko, Representative Director and Chief Executive Officer
Capital: JPY 3.6 billion
Established: May 9, 2014
- Issuance, sales, and management of e-money, other electronic monetary value, and advance payment methods, provision of digital payment systems, and funds transfer
- Sales and operation of LINE@
- Service development
- Advertising agency
LINE Official Account: @linepay_jp (Japanese only)
Official Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/linepay_jp (Japanese only)
List of LINE Pay Merchants: https://line.me/ja/pay/merchant (Japanese only)
LINE Pay Corporation is a registered member of the following organization and has obtained the following registrations in association with the launch of its business:
- Issuers of Prepaid Payment Instruments for Third-Party Business (Registration number: the Director of the Kanto Finance Bureau 00669, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Funds Transfer Service Providers (Registration number: the Director of the Kanto Finance Bureau General 00036, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Japan Payment Service Association (http://www.s-kessai.jp, Admission date: August 6, 2014)