TOKYO – August 8, 2018 – LINE Pay Corporation ("LINE Pay"), operator of the LINE Pay smartphone digital wallet service available through the LINE messaging app, will be introducing LINE Pay code payments at stores operated and managed by Hankyu Hanshin Department Stores, Inc. ("Hankyu Hanshin Department Stores") starting today.
Hankyu Hanshin Department Stores has decided to implement the smartphone-based LINE Pay code payment option to provide greater convenience to its customers. As a promotional campaign to commemorate the LINE Pay launch, special deals are planned to be offered in the future.
[Stores to implement LINE Pay Code Payment and the schedule]
Hankyu Umeda Main Store / September 5, 2018
Hankyu Men's Osaka / August 8, 2018
Hankyu Men's Tokyo / August 8, 2018
Tsuzuki Hankyu / August 8, 2018
Hankyu Department Store Ooi Shokuhinkan / August 8, 2018
Hanshin Umeda Main Store / September 5, 2018
Hakata Hankyu / September 19, 2018
Nishinomiya Hankyu / September 19, 2018
Senri Hankyu / October 3, 2018
Kawanishi Hankyu / October 3, 2018
Takarazuka Hankyu / October 3, 2018
Hanshin Nishinomiya / October 3, 2018
Amagasaki Hanshin / October 3, 2018
Note: Some exceptions apply.
LINE Pay code payments are a cashless and walletless payment method that allows users to make payments in one of two ways: by launching the LINE Pay code screen from the LINE app on their smartphone and have the displayed QR code or barcode scanned at the register; or using their smartphone to scan the store's code. Payments can be made at Hankyu Hanshin Department Stores by showing "Code Payment" screen and scanning the barcode at the register.
Any LINE user can instantly register for LINE Pay from within the LINE app and start using the service by agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of Use. After registering and adding funds (from a bank account, at a convenience store, or by other means) to their account balance, users simply need to use their smartphone to start making payments at LINE Pay merchants that have implemented code payments. ＊
Note: Domestic Japanese phone number needs to be registered in LINE app to make payments.
LINE Pay will close the distance between people, money, and services by eliminating the current pain-points – time, effort, fees, and more – of circulating money. The company also aims to become a leader in the FinTech industry as the world moves increasingly towards cashless modes of transactions.
Using LINE Pay payments (barcode)
1) Using a smartphone, access the "Wallet" tab in LINE, and tap "Pay with My Code" at the top.
2) Enter the passcode* to display the code (* skipped if already entered when launching LINE Pay)
3) Show the code screen at the register to the cashier and indicate to make a payment
4) Scan the barcode (done by the cashier)
5) Take your receipt (a completion message will be sent to the user's LINE app when the payment is completed)
Hankyu Hanshin Department Stores, Inc. Overview
Company Name: Hankyu Hanshin Department Stores, Inc.
Location of Head Office: 8-7 Kakudacho, Kita-ku, Osaka
Representative: Naoya Araki, Representative Director and President
Capital: JPY 200 million
Established: October 1, 2007
Primary Business: Department store operations
LINE Pay Corporation Overview (as of May 11, 2018)
Company Name: LINE Pay Corporation
Location of Head Office: JR Shinjuku Miraina Tower 23F, 4-1-6 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Yongsu Ko, Representative Director and Chief Executive Officer
Capital: JPY 3.6 billion
Established: May 9, 2014
- Issuance, sales, and management of e-money, other electronic monetary value, and advance payment methods, provision of digital payment systems, and funds transfer
- Sales and operation of LINE@
- Service development
- Advertising agency
LINE Official Account: @linepay_jp (Japanese only)
LINE Pay Corporation has become a registered member of the following organizations and obtained the following registrations in association with the launch of its business:
- Issuers of Prepaid Payment Instruments for Third-Party Business (Registration number: the Director of the Kanto Finance Bureau 00669, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Funds Transfer Service Providers (Registration number: the Director of the Kanto Finance Bureau General 00036, Registration date: October 1, 2014)