2018.06.28 LINE Pay
* LINE Pay contactless payment to be accepted at approximately 720 thousand QUICPay merchants across Japan
* LINE Pay poised to accelerate the diffusion of mobile payment solutions by supporting contactless payment in addition to code-based payment
TOKYO – June 28, 2018 – LINE Pay Corporation (“LINE Pay”) announced that it will team up with QUICPay under the LINE Pay mobile remittance/payment services ( http://line.me/pay ) on the LINE messaging app and make payment by LINE Pay available at around 720 thousand QUICPay merchants across the nation.
With a view to serving as a new payment infrastructure in the mobile age, LINE Pay was launched as online payment services in December 2014. In 2016 we started to offer offline solutions by issuing the LINE Pay Card that can be accepted by JCB merchants and in 2017 we launched our QR/bar code-based payment solution on a full scale. In 2018 with the aim of boosting the number of places where you can pay using LINE Pay to one million throughout the country, we concurrently updated the LINE app to make it even easier to use our QR/bar code-based payment option in a bid to enhance user-friendliness.
At LINE Pay, we are convinced that it will be able to become a payment infrastructure only if it allows anyone to enjoy the benefit of cashlessness and walletlessness anytime and anywhere. Based on the belief that code-based payment using smartphones is the right solution to that end, we are conducting activities to make it gain wide acceptance. Meanwhile, in Japan contactless payment solutions are already available in large-scale stores and a great many users evaluate them highly by noting their convenience.
While expediting efforts to lay the groundwork for LINE Pay code payments that offer businesses and users a cashless and walletless payment method with a smartphone alone, in order to enhance user-friendliness even further, we will support contactless payment as the third offline payment method following the LINE Pay Card and our QR/bar code-based payment solution starting this fall. This will allow Android smartphone users to make payment from their LINE Pay account balance by simply holding their smartphone over the reader. As QUICPay is accepted at around 720 thousand locations across the nation, the number of places where users can use LINE Pay contactless payment service will dramatically increase.
*QUICPay is a registered trademark JCB.
* Android is a registered trademark of Google LLC.
Under LINE's corporate mission of Closing the Distance, LINE Pay strives to eliminate the many inconveniences of cash transactions including time, effort, and fees, to bring people, their money, and services closer together. LINE Pay also aims to lead the mobile FinTech world in anticipation of a cashless, walletless society, and build a world in which all monetary transactions can be handled entirely through LINE.
JCB Co., Ltd. Overview (as of March 2018)
Company Name: JCB Co., Ltd.
Location of Head Office: Aoyama Rise Square 5-1-22 Minami Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Ichiro Hamakawa, President and Chief Executive Officer
Capital: JPY 10.6 billion
Established: January 25, 1961
- Credit card operation
- Credit card operation services
- Credit guarantee
- Gift card and certificate issuing and sales
LINE Pay Corporation Overview (as of May 2018)
Company Name: LINE Pay Corporation
Location of Head Office: JR Shinjuku Miraina Tower 23F, 4-1-6 Shinjuku, Shinju-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Youngsu Ko, Representative Director and Chief Executive Officer
Capital: JPY 3.6 billion
Established: May 9, 2014
* Issuance, sales, and management of e-money, other electronic monetary value, and advance payment methods, provision of digital payment systems, and funds transfer
* Sales and operation of LINE@
* Service development
* Advertising agency
LINE Pay Corporation has become a registered member of the following organizations in association with the launch of its business:
- Issuers of Prepaid Payment Instruments for Third-Party Business (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00669, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Funds Transfer Service Providers (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00036, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Japan Payment Service Association (http://www.s-kessai.jp , Admission date: August 6, 2014)
LINE Pay merchants ( https://line.me/ja/pay/merchant )