2018.05.11 LINE Pay
● Code payments to initially be launched at 392 establishments, and ultimately at all locations
● Smartphone payments to be accepted at Shirokiya, Uotami, Warawara, and other chains by August
TOKYO – May 11, 2018 – LINE Pay Corporation ("LINE Pay"), operator of the LINE Pay smartphone digital wallet service available through the LINE messenger app, will be introducing LINE Pay code payments from May 12, 2018 at the restaurants and hotels operated and managed in Japan by MONTEROZA CO.,LTD. ("MONTEROZA").
MONTEROZA manages 32 brands, including its restaurant businesses, across approximately 1,700 establishments in Japan The company has decided to implement the smartphone-based LINE Pay code payments implementation in order to provide greater convenience to its customers. Code payments will first be implemented at 392 establishments (including Yamauchi Nojo, Tamba Kurodori Nojo, Mekiki no Ginji, Yokohama Uoman, as well as HOTEL MONTEROZA (Ohta, Gunma-ken) and its on-site restaurant “Restaurant Marble”), followed by all other establishments (including Shirokiya, Uotami, and Warawara) by August 2018.
The companies will be considering holding promotional campaigns in the future to offer benefits to customers who pay at MONTEROZA establishments using LINE Pay codes.
LINE Pay code payments are a cashless and walletless payment method that allows users to make payments in one of two ways: by launching the LINE Pay code screen from the LINE app on their smartphone and have the displayed QR code or barcode scanned at the register; or using their smartphone to scan the store's code. The former payment method will be made available at MONTEROZA stores, where shoppers show a QR code and have it scanned at the register. Any LINE user can instantly register from within the LINE app and start using the service. After registering and adding funds to their account balance, users simply need to use their smartphone to start making payments at LINE Pay merchants that have implemented code payments.
For this latest partnership, participating stores have implemented and the mobile payment StarPay (SUNMI V1) terminal and the StarPay payment app from NETSTARS CO., LTD. (which LINE Pay recently announced entering into a capital alliance with).
LINE Pay will close the distance between people, money, and services by eliminating the current pain-points – time, effort, fees, and more – of circulating money. LINE Pay also aims to lead the mobile Fintech world in anticipation of a cashless, walletless society.
Making Payments with LINE Pay (QR Code)
1) Using a smartphone, access the "Wallet" tab in LINE, and tap "Pay with My Code" at the top.
2) Enter your passcode* to display your code (* skipped if already entered when launching LINE Pay)
3) Show the code screen at the register to the cashier and tell them you will be making a payment
4) Scan the QR code (done by the cashier)
5) Take your receipt (a completion message will be sent to your LINE app when the payment is completed)
MONTEROZA CO., LTD. Overview
Company Name: MONTEROZA CO.,LTD.
Location of Head Office: MONTEROZA Mitaka Bldg., 1-17-3 6 Nakachou, Musashino-shi, Tokyo
Representative: Teruhiro Ooga, Representative Director
Capital: JPY 2.895 billion
Established: May 23, 1983
Primary Business: Operation and management of subsidiaries under its corporate umbrella, with a focus on the restaurant business.
LINE Pay Corporation Overview (as of December 11, 2017)
Company Name: LINE Pay Corporation
Location of Head Office: JR Shinjuku Miraina Tower, 23F 4-1-6 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Yongsu Ko, Representative Director and Chief Executive Officer
Capital: JPY 2.950 billion
Established: May 9, 2014
- Issuance, sales, and management of e-money, other electronic monetary value, and advance payment methods, provision of digital payment systems, and funds transfer
- Sales and operation of LINE@
- Service development
- Advertising agency
LINE Pay Corporation has become a registered member of the following organizations in association with the launch of its business:
- Issuers of Prepaid Payment Instruments for Third-Party Business (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00669, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Funds Transfer Service Providers (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00036, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Japan Payment Service Association (http://www.s-kessai.jp, Admission date: August 6, 2014)