2018.04.16 LINE Pay
● First phase of partnership between Regional Marketing and LINE Pay
● Smartphone payments to be accepted at approximately 90 mall stores
TOKYO – April 16, 2018 – LINE Pay Corporation, operator of the LINE Pay mobile remittance and payment service available through the LINE messaging app, has started a partnership with Regional Marketing Co., Ltd. (“RM”)*1 to enroll more LINE Pay merchants. Through these efforts, LINE Pay will expand on the number of shops that accept LINE Pay in the Hokkaido area.
*1: Member of the Satudora Holdings Co., Ltd. group
As the first phase of this partnership, Chitose Outlet Mall Rera (operated and managed by JLL K.K.) will begin supporting LINE Pay code payments at approximately 90 of its stores from April 21, 2018. Users can make their payments by showing a code (displayed within LINE Pay) and having the code scanned at the store.
Particularly popular among families, Chitose Outlet Mall Rera – Hokkaido’s largest outlet mall – offers its visitors an enjoyable shopping and food experience. Thanks to its great location (just a 10 minute free shuttle ride away from New Chitose Airport) and its vast selection of around 140 shops to provide patrons with a fun-filled shopping experience, this commercial center is in high demand both within Hokkaido as well as among inbound tourists.
LINE Pay code payments are a cashless and walletless payment method that allows users to make payments in one of two ways: by launching the LINE Pay code screen from the LINE app on their smartphone and have the displayed QR code or barcode scanned at the register; or using their smartphone to scan the store’s code. The former payment method will be made available at Chitose Outlet Mall Rera, where shoppers show a QR code and have it scanned at the register. Any LINE user can instantly register from within the LINE app and start using the service. After registering and adding funds to their account balance, users simply need to use their smartphone to start making purchases at LINE Pay merchants that have implemented code payments.
For the latest partnership, participating mall stores have implemented “StarPay,” a mobile payment terminal and payment app from NETSTARS CO., LTD. (which LINE Pay recently announced entering into a capital alliance with), and will be using them as payment terminals.
This implementation was brought about as the first phase of a merchant development and management services partnership with RM. Established as a joint venture between Satudora Holdings Co., Ltd. and Blue Chip Co., LTD., RM carries out full-service marketing activities for Hokkaido companies, stores, and organizations. Due to strong demand from inbound tourists and a prompt response from companies to add mobile payment options, many Hokkaido companies were early LINE Pay adopters and make active use of the service. LINE Pay will continue to focus its efforts on enrolling merchants in pursuit of its goal to create a world in which its services can be used anywhere.
LINE Pay will close the distance between people, money, and services by eliminating the current pain-points—time, effort, fees, and more—of circulating money. LINE Pay also aims to lead the mobile Fintech world in anticipation of a cashless, walletless society.
Using LINE Pay Code Payment
1) Using a smartphone, access the “Wallet” tab in LINE, and tap “Pay with My Code” at the top.
2) Enter your passcode* to display your code (* skipped if already entered when launching LINE Pay)
3) Show the code screen at the register to the cashier and tell them you will be making a payment
4) Scan the code (done by the cashier)
5) Take your receipt (a completion message will be sent to your LINE app when the payment is completed)
Regional Marketing Co., Ltd. Overview
Company Name: Regional Marketing Co., Ltd.
Location of Head Office: 1-2-18 Taihei 3 Jo, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Representative: Hiroki Toyama, Representative Director and President
Capital: JPY 141 million
Established: August 19, 2013
Primary Business: Full-service marketing activities to regional companies, stores, and organizations
- Media services
- Shared reward cards
- Payment services
JLL K.K. Overview
Company Name: JLL K.K.
Location of Head Office: Prudential Tower, 2-13-10 Nagata-cho, Chiyoda-ku Tokyo
Representative: Toshinobu Kasai, Representative Director and President
Capital: JPY 195 million
Established: April 1985
Primary Business: Integrated real estate operations
LINE Pay Corporation Overview (as of December 11, 2017)
Company Name: LINE Pay Corporation
Location of Head Office: JR Shinjuku Miraina Tower, 23F 4-1-6 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Yongsu Ko, Representative Director and Chief Executive Officer
Capital: JPY 2.950 billion
Established: May 9, 2014
- Issuance, sales, and management of e-money, other e-currencies, and advance payment methods, provision of digital payment systems, and funds transfer
- Sales and operation of LINE@
- Service development
- Advertising agency
LINE Pay Corporation has become a registered member of the following organizations in association with the launch of its business:
- Issuers of Prepaid Payment Instruments for Third-Party Business (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00669, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Funds Transfer Service Providers (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00036, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Japan Payment Service Association (http://www.s-kessai.jp, Admission date: August 6, 2014)