· Settle utility bills and online purchases from anywhere, anytime
· Simply scan barcode displayed on invoice with a smartphone
TOKYO – March 6, 2018 – LINE Pay has introduced “LINE Pay Barcode Payment” for its smartphone wallet service, “LINE Pay,” available through the LINE messaging app. Starting today, users can settle various bills including utilities and online purchases just by scanning the barcode displayed on the invoice with a smartphone.
The service will begin supporting TEPCO Energy Partner, Inc. from the launch date, and plans to support Densan System Co., Ltd. in early April, followed by SMBC Finance Service Co., Ltd. and the Mitsubishi UFJ Factors Ltd. in or after May.
Up until now, users were required to bring their invoice and cash to a participating store to pay their bill, but LINE Pay Barcode Payment relieves this burden by enabling them to make their payments using just their smartphone from anywhere, anytime.
To use LINE Pay Barcode Payment, users need to launch LINE Pay from within the LINE app, and accept the LINE Pay Terms and Conditions of Use to open a LINE Pay account. Then, they must add funds to the account by bank transfer, depositing money at a convenience store, or other means. Once finished, they can begin settling bills by using LINE Pay’s “Scan Bill” feature to scan the barcode displayed on a utility bill such as an electricity or water bill, or an invoice for an online purchase. Further, limited participating partners are planning to accept payments with LINE Points.
Below is the current list of confirmed businesses that the service will support.
* Partners of SMBC Finance Service Co., Ltd. and Densan System Co., Ltd. that wish to accept LINE Pay as a payment option must apply separately.
LINE Pay will close the distance between people, money, and services by eliminating the current pain-points—time, effort, fees, and more—of circulating money. LINE Pay also aims to lead the mobile Fintech world in anticipation of a cashless, walletless society.
How to Use LINE Pay Barcode Payment
1) Using a smartphone, access “LINE Pay” in LINE, and tap “Scan Bill."
2) Read the instructions and tap “Next.” The scanner will launch.
3) Scan barcode on invoice.
4) Confirm invoice details displayed on screen.
5) Choose to settle amount.
6) Enter passcode (PIN).
7) Payment is completed. A confirmation message will be received on LINE upon completion.
LINE Pay Corporation Overview (as of December 11, 2017)
Company name: LINE Pay Corporation
Location of head office: JR Shinjuku Miraina Tower, 23F 4-1-6 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Yongsu Ko, Representative Director and Chief Executive Officer
Capital: JPY 2.950 billion
Established: May 9, 2014
- Issuance, sales, and management of e-money, other e-currencies, and advance payment methods, provision of digital payment systems, and funds transfer
- Sales and operation of LINE@
- Service development
- Advertising agency
LINE Pay Corporation has become a registered member of the following organizations in association with the launch of its business:
- Issuers of Prepaid Payment Instruments for Third-Party Business (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00669, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Funds Transfer Service Providers (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00036, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Japan Payment Service Association (http://www.s-kessai.jp, Admission date: August 6, 2014)