Payments can be made with just a smartphone at approximately 1,800 GEO, 2nd STREET, GEO mobile, and other stores
TOKYO – February 27, 2018 – LINE Pay Corporation ("LINE Pay"), operator of the LINE Pay smartphone digital wallet service available through the LINE messenger app, has introduced LINE Pay code payments at approximately 1,800 GEO Group stores operated and managed by GEO Corporation, a subsidiary of GEO Holdings Corporation.
The GEO Group operates approximately 1,800 stores across Japan, including GEO Shop (comprehensive media shops that rent, buy, and sell both new and used DVDs, CDs, game titles, and other packaged products), 2nd STREET (comprehensive used product stores that buy and sell a variety of items including home appliances, furniture, musical instruments, sporting goods, and sundries), and GEO mobile (mobile phone specialty stores that buy and sell used smartphones, used mobile phones, and low-cost smartphones). This implementation by LINE Pay will enable code payments at POS registers by making use of InComm Japan's POSA technology, which connects POS registers at approximately 60,000 stores across Japan to its system.
Code payments are a cashless payment method that allows users to make payments in one of two ways: by launching the LINE Pay code screen from the LINE app on their smartphone and scanning the displayed QR code or barcode at the register; or using their smartphone to scan the store's code. Payments can be made at GEO Group stores by showing a barcode and scanning it at the register. Any LINE user can easily register and start using the service from within the LINE app. After registering and adding funds to their account balance, users can make purchases at LINE Pay merchants that have implemented code payments with only their smartphone.
A special promotion is also being offered to commemorate the introduction of LINE Pay.
Promotion overview: 5% LINE Points back on purchases with LINE Pay
During the promotion, users who make a purchase at participating stores will later receive 5% of the purchase price back in LINE Points. *1
Promotion period: March 15, 2018 to April 14, 2018*2
Reward: Receive 5% of the purchase price in LINE Points.
Conditions: All users who pay using a LINE Pay code*3 at a GEO Group store*4 during the promotion period.
*1: LINE Points will be granted for participating in this promotion up to JPY 100,000 (including tax; 5,000 LINE Points) per person during the promotional period. LINE Points will not be granted for normal LINE Pay code payments which do not fall under this promotion.
*2: The bonus LINE Pay balance will be added to the LINE Pay account to which funds were added and the purchase was made by the end of April 2018 (tentative).
*3: This promotion applies only to LINE Pay code payments. Please note that this does not apply to payments made using the LINE Pay Card.
*4: Not available at all stores.
LINE Pay aims to reduce the inconveniences of cash transactions through accessible, free service, in hopes of closing the distance between sellers and customers, and hopes to become a leader in the FinTech industry as the world moves increasingly towards cashless modes of sale.
Using LINE Pay payments (barcode)
1) Tap on the "LINE Pay" icon under the "... (More)" tab in the LINE app on your smartphone
2) Enter your password* to display your code (* only required when launching LINE Pay)
3) Show the code screen at the register to the cashier and tell them you will be making a payment
4) Scan the code (done by the cashier)
5) Take your receipt (a completion message will be sent to your LINE app when the payment is completed)
GEO Corporation Overview
Company name: GEO Corporation
Location of head office: OMC Bldg. 8-8, Fujimi-cho, Naka-ku, Nagoya, Aichi
Representative: Yasushi Yoshikawa, Representative Director and President
Total capital: JPY 30 million
Established: November 1, 2011
- Operation of "GEO Shop" comprehensive media shops: Rental, purchases, and sales of both new and used in-home entertainment media including DVDs, CDs, and game titles
- Operation of "2nd STREET" comprehensive used product stores: Purchase and sale of a variety of used items including home appliances, furniture, musical instruments, sporting goods, and sundries
- Operation of "GEO mobile" mobile phone specialty store: Purchase and sale of used smartphones, used mobile phones, and low-cost smartphones
- Operation of amusement multiplex
- Operation of rental delivery
InComm Japan Kabushiki Kaisha
Company name: InComm Japan Kabushiki Kaisha
Location of head office: Shinjuku Center Bldg. 41st Floor, 1-25-1 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo
Representative: Takuma Arai, Representative Director
Established: January 2008
Primary business: Distributing POSA cards
LINE Pay Corporation Overview (as of December 11, 2017)
Company name: LINE Pay Corporation
Location of head office: JR Shinjuku Miraina Tower, 23F 4-1-6 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Yongsu Ko, Representative Director and Chief Executive Officer
Total capital: JPY 3.015 billion
Established: May 9, 2014
- Digital currency, e-money valuation, and prepaid payment services, sales, and management, electronic payment system, and funds transfer services
- Sales and operation of LINE@
- Service development
- Advertising agency
LINE Pay Corporation is a member of the following organizations in accordance with its businesses:
- Issuers of Prepaid Payment Instruments for Third-Party Business (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00669, Registration date: October 1, 2014)
- Funds Transfer Service Providers (Registration number: Kanto Director General 00036, Registration date: October 1, 2014)